ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Safety, Security and Business Resiliency
The Safety, Security, and Business Resiliency divisions remain dedicated to creating and sustaining a culture that promotes safe behaviors, provides for and protects the security of people and property, and is well prepared to respond to and recover from incidents that compromise our ability to operate.
This position is responsible for leading multiple safety programs to protect workers, and as required under the Federal and State Occupational Safety and Health Administration. This position serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the company for specific safety programs. In this position, you will develop safety programs, standards, and manuals necessary to protect worker safety and ensure compliance.
The new position will develop assessment protocols to ensure consistent, efficient and effective compliance implementation across the company. Also, the hired person will be empowered to make risk-based decisions that have a major company-wide impact. The senior advisor will provide technical interpretation of newly proposed regulations, legislation, or policies and will evaluate and respond to compliance actions (e.g., Notice of Violations, Notice to Comply). The person responsible will collaborate with affected business units in the roll out of new requirements and standards.
- Lead designated safety programs (e.g., fall protection, confined space, hazardous energy control, etc.).
- Prepare communications and modify standards to reflect changes in requirements, based upon desired continuous improvement or as imposed by the CPUC, Cal-OSHA, or other governing agencies.
- Also, monitor nationally recognized organizations such as ANSI, NFPA and ASTM and incorporate changes in their standards into safety program documentation, considering risk to worker safety, cost, scope and schedule.
- Testifying and representing SCE’s interests at agency proceedings and workshops, and serving as the focal point for evaluating regulatory and policy changes.
- Develop and maintain training and communications programs targeted to safety professionals, safety congresses, supervisors and employees as necessary to educate workers about their particular responsibilities under required safety programs.
- Working with the Training department and Corporate Communications, ensure that appropriate training required is developed and available, identify the target audience for training and engagement, and sustain continuous communications as necessary for strong program performance.
- Function as the company’s subject matter expert in assigned safety program areas by answering technical and policy-related inquiries, engaging in worker outreach on program requirements, and assist with incident investigations where the safety program is involved.
- Continuously assess and update the assigned safety program standards, manuals, training and communications.
- Evaluate effectiveness of assigned safety programs in the field and make adjustments to related documents.
- Manage multiple groups affected by assigned safety programs and solicit feedback on program usability and best practices.
- Regularly benchmark with other large utilities and industry groups in order to stay current on recent developments and practices in the assigned safety programs.
- Supporting implementation of safety programs through field visits and responding to information requests.
- Work with safety performance improvement and analytics group to identify trends in safety program execution based on observations, close calls, and injury reports and evaluations.
- Coordinate and lead the implementation of any corrective actions identified by these analyses.
- Ensure the creation and maintenance of standards, programs and manuals as needed to ensure effective implementation of assigned safety programs.
- Ensure that these documents are established in collaboration with worker-led Safety Congresses and approved by the company’s Senior Safety Council
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field of study, engineering studies, or other related safety discipline.
- Ten (10) years of experience in safety.
- Five (5) years’ experience leading and implementing multiple projects.
- Five (5) years’ experience writing or participating in the development and implementation of standards for safety programs, as well as effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining relationships and collaborating with all levels of employees including executive management and SMEs across various Organization Units (OUs).
- Demonstrated experience making recommendations to senior leadership.
- Demonstrated experience building project management plans that specify charter, scope, cost estimates, schedule, deliverables and target dates, and risk management plans.
- Demonstrated the ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to improve customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks appropriately, develop and execute business plans, and provide excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Master’s degree in safety-related discipline or related field of study – Preferred
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) – Preferred
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- The primary work location for this position is Irwindale or Chino, CA, however, the successful candidate may also be asked to work within the SCE territory as needed.
- Relocation may apply to this position
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status. *LI-JS1